Thursday, November 18, 2010

Sorting Fun

Recycled Crayons!

I had a bag of nubby, old crayons I've been wanting to recycle. Now that Eli is recognizing colors and interested in sorting I thought I'd take advantage and get cracking! Here's how we made our chunky crayons.


Step 1: Sort naked crayons by color. Break big bits into smaller bits--oh, so much fun!


















Step 2: Spray a muffin tin with Pam. Fill with crayon bits.













Step 3: Bake at 275 degrees for about 10 minutes.
















Step 4: Let cool. Fridge or freezer helps speed things up.














Step 5: Knock chunky crayons from the muffin tin. Admire. Use. Love.












Additional notes:

-Crayon wrappers are much easier to remove after soaking in water over night.

-The muffin tin I used is now designated as a "craft" item. Wax melted into tiny crevices in the muffin tin and I don't feel comfortable using it for baking again. While this wasn't my original plan muffin tins are great for distributing paint and for sorting small items like rocks, marbles and buttons.

1 comment: